Kindred closing hospitals in Houston, DFW

Posted on: Friday, January 24, 2020 By: KorchekStaff

Louisville, Kentucky-based Kindred Healthcare LLC is closing multiple hospitals in the Houston area.

One of those closures was disclosed in a Workforce Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act letter sent to the Texas Workforce Commission.

The closure of Triumph Hospital of North Houston LP — which does business as Kindred Hospital Spring and is located at 205 Hollow Tree Lane — will eliminate 160 positions. Those employee separations are slated to begin during the two-week period starting March 17, according to the WARN letter.

Affected employees are not represented by a union and do not have bumping rights, meaning affected workers with more seniority cannot take positions occupied by those with less seniority. A reason for the closure was not indicated in the WARN letter.

Additionally, Kindred told the Houston Chronicle that it would close its hospitals in Pasadena, Tomball and the Heights. The number of positions eliminated due to the closures was not indicated, but Kindred did tell the Chronicle that it would relocate around 100 employees within its system plus more as positions become available. The company also is helping other affected employees find jobs elsewhere.

In North Texas, Kindred notified the TWC that it will close Kindred Hospital - Dallas at 9525 Greenville Ave., Dallas, and Kindred Hospital - Fort Worth, at 815 Eighth Ave., Fort Worth. Those closures will eliminate 201 and 180 positions, respectively. Those employee separations will begin in the two-week period starting March 15.

In the Dallas-Fort Worth WARN letters, Kindred said it was consolidating its DFW operations to "concentrate our resources into providing the best care possible for the community." The affected employees in North Texas also do not have union representation or bumping rights.

Kindred was No. 7 on the Houston Business Journal's 2019 Largest Houston-Area Health Care Systems List, which published in December, base on its 741 local licensed beds. In addition to Kindred Hospital Spring, the health system has eight other Houston-area hospitals. Kindred's hospice locations are now part of a separately owned company, called Kindred at Home.

Kindred used to be publicly traded, but it was acquired in July 2018 by Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), TPG Capital and Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe. Humana owns a 40 percent stake in the Kindred at Home company, while the private equity firms own the other 60 percent. The PE firms also own the Kindred Healthcare company.

Comments